Thursday, March 5, 2009

By Any Other Name. . .

I grew up with the less common name Erica. I have always liked my name. But imagine a really outdated name like . . . Mildred. In 1919 Mildred was on the top ten most popular names list, according to the Social Security Administration. But today it would be considered very old fashioned, and let’s face it, you would probably be teased now if your name was Mildred.

But an article from Time magazine actually suggests that the popularity of your name could determine your future criminal record.

This new study, soon to be published in the Social Science Quarterly, found “that adolescent boys with unpopular names are likelier than other boys to be referred to the juvenile-justice system for alleged offenses. The researchers conclude that the Ernests, Prestons and Tyrells of America are significantly more delinquent than the Michaels and Davids.


Think about it. What we are called on a regular basis is how we see ourselves. If someone called you a “nerd” every day, you might start seeing yourself as a nerd. If someone at school thought your name was strange or old fashioned you may start seeing yourself as “uncool” or alienated. Poor Mildred.

Consider some more statistics found:

• Most people perceive those with unconventionally spelled names (Patric, Geoffrey) as less likely to be moral, warm and successful.
• We have a tendency to judge boys' trustworthiness and masculinity from their names.
• Boys with names commonly given to girls are likelier to be suspended from school.
• Having an unusual name leads to unfavorable reactions in others, which then leads to unfavorable evaluations of the self.

Many of these examples are for boy names. What are some statistics for girl names?

• The name Allison is rarely given to girls whose mothers didn't finish high school but is frequently given to girls whose mothers have 17 years or more of schooling.
• On average, parents with less schooling are likelier to pick unpopular names for their kids.

Although this is an interesting and provoking question, do you really think that your name will determine your criminal record?

I will admit—this article has me paying a lot more attention to the people around me. And it has me thinking, who is Erica?

2 comments:

  1. I don't know about this one. I do think it's interesting that meanings of names, or companies who compile characteristic traits for a certain name, can be surprisingly accurate!
    But I don't think that your name can determine who you are as a person.

    This is a very interesting study, but I can think of many cases that contradict it.
    For example. My family is full of unusual names. My Mom's name is Nelada (a combination of her Grandmothers' names Nellie and Ada) but all of her siblings have common names like Keith, Sylvia, Sally, Allen, Wilson, Judy, Gary, Cindy, Michael, and Bonnie: and of the 12 children in that family I think she is one of the most stable and well balanced.
    My parents tried to give us all unique names: Gavin, Alayna, Brady, Caranna and Quinten - and of the 5 of us I would say that Quinten is the strangest and has had the most difficult time finding his place in the world. I think his name is the most common of them all.

    I like having an unique name! But didn't always. When I was younger I hated having to repeat myself over and over again as no one seemed to be able to pronounce my name correctly.
    I'd occasionally change my name to Carrie or Annie just to fit in, but after about 2nd grade I embraced it's uniqueness, and began to answer to anything that sounded remotely close.

    But In high school and college I loved having a name like Caranna. People would be talking and the stories would have to be interrupted with "Jessica who?" or "Which David?" but when they were talking about "Caranna" everyone knew which one, because there's only one me, and I like it that way!

    My husband and I have been careful to give our children names that are easy to pronounce yet unique.

    My husband's name is Ryan and there are far too many of those in the world!

    So we have seen both sides of the spectrum.
    I think a name should be strong, and have meaning, but not be the same as everyone elses'. I think you carve your own path through life wither you decide to be a Robert, Rob, Bob or Bobby. You can make of your name and you life what you will.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great comment. I agree that you carve your own path through life and that your life is what you make of it. Unfortunately, for some, society and the opinions of others can cast a shadow on potential.

    I appreciate your addition to this blog.

    ReplyDelete