Thursday, April 9, 2009

Who Lives In Your Neighborhood?

My mother shared a terrifying story with me a while ago. A young mother in our town was attacked at home, in broad daylight.

She was working inside her home when a man walked through the front door with a knife. She fought him off with surprisingly small injuries; but the shock of the experience, I am sure, will be with her for some time.

The man was a convicted sex offender.

After hearing that alarming story, I wanted to know how many registered sex offenders lived in my town. So I looking up my state's registered sex offender listing--available through a government Web site. It was shocking.

As responsible citizens, as mothers, as fathers, as sisters, as brothers; understanding the world around us is important. Please investigate your own neighborhoods. Be educated. Be aware.

Note: Many states include photo IDs for sex offenders. Look up your state's official site for more information.

No comments:

Post a Comment