Saturday, November 21, 2009

Ingredient Review

Garlic: The Pungent Healer


A metallic grating noise echoed against the walls of my 1950s white-walled kitchen and assaulted my ears as I sat reading in the living room. I glanced wide-eyed into the kitchen at the culprit. My roommate, Shannon, held a steak knife in one hand and a fork in the other, a sheepish, apologetic smile lit her face as she sliced something small and white on the cutting board.

Moments later, a familiar, pungent smell permeated the apartment. I placed my novel face-down on the coffee table and crossed onto the kitchen’s tiled floor. Before I could ask a single question, Shannon scooped the finely-chopped garlic into a glass, filled it with water, and downed it in one swig.

My shocked expression produced a quick explanation from Shannon and hours of research in the following weeks. This is what I learned.

Why would someone want to eat raw garlic?
Apparently the consumption of raw garlic on a regular basis is not a new idea. To my roommate’s credit, garlic has been used as a remedy for illnesses for thousands of years. According to iVillage, a United Kingdom health source, the Sanskrit records garlic remedies in India as far back as 5,000 years. Chinese medicine has incorporated garlic for more than 3,000 years.

Today it continually surfaces in health articles and research journals. In the article “The Health Benefits of Garlic,” Michele Simmons shared, “When cloves are chewed, crushed or cut, they release a sulphur-bearing compound called allicin—the chemical that gives garlic its pungent taste and smell. And it's the allicin that scientists have discovered is the magic ingredient thought to be responsible for garlic's therapeutic qualities.”

What are the health benefits of garlic?
Garlic is credited with lowering blood pressure; fighting heart disease and the common cold; improving intestinal disorders, respiratory infections, skin diseases, wounds, and aging; reducing cardiovascular disease and cancer; stimulating immune function; enhancing detoxification; and restoring physical strength.

Simmons also shared that taking daily garlic supplements can cut the likelihood of stroke by 30-40 percent. Heart disease can also be reduced by 20-25 percent. Recent studies also show that garlic supplements can reduce the risk of catching a cold by 50 percent. Garlic is also said to contain vitamins A, B and C, selenium, iodine, potassium, iron, calcium, zinc and magnesium.

How do I avoid the garlic odor?
Once I witnessed my roommate swigging garlic, I asked if her habit results in bad morning breath. I had never noticed any lingering odor associated with my friend. She shared her trick: if garlic is ingested at night, the herb is absorbed during the sleeping hours. By morning, no odor remains. Others may experience different results. If so, garlic supplements can be consumed in tablet form, found in a variety of health food stores. Chewing on fresh, not dried, parsley is also known for neutralizing any odors in the mouth.

How do I starting cooking with garlic?
Garlic is a common ingredient in many dishes, especially Italian and French cuisine. Garlic can be incorporated in any meal: breakfast, lunch or dinner. Try the following recipes to add a tasty and healthy twist to your diet.

Creamy Zucchini and Garlic

Ingredients list:
6 medium zucchini, grated.
6 garlic cloves, minced.
2 ½ tablespoons of butter.
2 ½ tablesspoons of garlic powder.
2 ½ tablespoons of sour cream.
1 teaspoon of thyme leaves, chopped.
Fresh pepper.

Instructions:

Melt the butter in a skillet. Add the minced garlic and saute over low heat for a short time. Add the grated zucchini, garlic power and thyme. Cook, stirring frequently until the zucchini is tender. Remove from the heat and stir in the sour cream. Season with the fresh pepper. Serve.


Spinach and Garlic Omelettes

Ingredient list:

2 egg whites
40 g spinach
1 teaspoon crushed fresh garlic
butter-flavored cooking spray

Instructions:
Mix egg whites with garlic and spinach in small bowl. Spray small pan or omelette maker with butter spray and place on medium heat. Pour mixture evenly into heated pan. Wait 2-3 minutes, flip, then serve.


I suppose now I can understand why someone would drink garlic and water every night. Since researching this common yet powerful ingredient, I have begun incorporating it into my cooking and—yes—I even started a weekly ritual of drinking chopped garlic before bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment